The Ballet Department is housed in the Alice Sheets Marriott Center for Dance, built in 1989. This center is a beautiful and outstanding facility built specifically for dance. The Center joins the Marriott Library as a lasting monument to the generosity of the J. Willard Marriott family.
Alice Sheets Marriott’s legacy is one of honesty and hard work. She and her husband J. Willard Marriott started out with a nine-seat root beer stand and nurtured their corporation into an international leader in lodging and food service with operations in 50 states and 26 countries. She was a consistent patron of the arts. Mrs. Marriott was a member of the board of trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Art and served on its executive and finance committees. She also served as the chair of the President’s Advisory Committee on the Arts for the Kennedy Center. She was a member of the National Symphony Orchestra. Additionally, she served on the board of directors of many organizations including the National Ballet Society and the Goodwill Industries Guild. She was a member of the Republican National Committee from 1959 to 1976. She also served as Vice Chairman of the 1969 Inaugural Committee. Two institutions of higher learning have awarded her with honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degrees: The University of Utah in 1974, and Mount Vernon College in 1980.
Hayes Christensen Theatre
The formal performance space in the Marriott Center for Dance, The Hayes Christensen Theatre, was named in honor of Elizabeth R. Hayes and Willam Christensen, in recognition of their outstanding contributions to dance and the University of Utah. The 333-seat professional theatre, shared by the Departments of Modern Dance and Ballet, has 14 rows of seating steeply raked to permit all audience members an excellent view. On stage left is a quick change room, restroom, and a ballet barre with an electric-radiant panel to warm dancers’ legs and feet.
Our versatile yet intimate theatre can accommodate a wide-variety of live and unique performances. There’s not a bad seat in the house. The Hayes Christensen Theatre has hosted lectures, conventions, lunch meetings, auditions, rehearsals, concerts, and live events to name a few. In addition to the Theatre, The Marriott Center for Dance has space and studios to accommodate every activity. Rental options include a full professional staff to ensure that your event is a success. Our expertise combined with our competitive prices and flexible accommodations make us the best choice for your event. Please contact us to explore the wide explore the wide range of possibilities.
- Equipped with ETC lighting system, audio/video capabilities
- Seating Capacity: 333
- Orchestra: The bottom row of seats can be removed to create an orchestra pit for performances with live musicians.
- Proscenium: 20’ H X 40’ W X 35’ D, with a curved apron of up to 8’ in front of the curtain.
- Curtain line to back wall: 35’
- Separate crossover behind back wall
- Grid height: 36’
Experimental Theatre (Black Box)
The Experimental Theatre 240 is located on the second floor of the Marriott Center for Dance. This intimate and unique theatre can accommodate a wide-variety of live and unique performances. Please contact us to explore the wide explore the wide range of possibilities.
The Marriott Center for Dance has 6 large studios that are full of natural light, have high ceilings, and come complete with mirrors, ballet bars, a piano, and updated audio/visual equipment. Contact us to explore the possible uses of our beautiful studios.
Our rooftop Sky Deck has a beautiful view of the Salt Lake valley and is perfect for an outdoor yoga class or a pre/post performance gathering. Contact us to explore the possible uses of our Sky Deck.
Rental and Services
To rent space, please read and/or complete the following steps Please note: Prices listed in the contract are general and will be adjusted dependent upon use, need and other variables.
1. Pick which space you are interested in renting (Hayes Christensen Theatre, Experimental Black Box, Studios, or Sky Deck), then download then peruse and complete information before contacting the Rental Coordinator. If you have any problems downloading information please contact the Rental Coordinator at 801-581-7327.
Forms for Facility Rentals
- Facilities Use Agreement (Rental Contract for Hayes Christensen or Experimental Theatres)
- Studio Rental Agreement (for Studios only)
- TD Permission Equipment Use
- Event Information Form
- Studio 40 Performance Rental Agreement
- Studio 240 Performance Rental Agreement
Hayes Christensen Theatre
- Hayes Christensen Theatre Seating Chart
- Theatre Section (2015)
- Theatre Ground Plan (2015)
- HCT Magic Sheet
- HCT Channel Hookup
- HCT Line Set Schedule
- HCT Light Plot Instrument Schedule
Experimental Theatre (Rooms 240, 40)
2. Contact and submit completed information to Rental Coordinator:
3. The information received will be submitted to the Chairs and Production Director for approval. Notifications of approval will then come from the Rental Coordinator or Production Director.
4. If space rental is approved, a rental contract meeting will be scheduled where estimates and expenditures will be discussed and contracts will be signed.
Please note: All contracts must be signed and a deposit submitted before space use.
Established and maintained by both the Modern and Ballet departments, the A/V Services provides a myriad of services to current students, faculty/staff, and alumni. Access to these services are dependent on enrollment status, curriculum needs and other factors.
A/V Hours & Contact Info
Hours vary weekly. Please see hours posted (room 128), contact the A/V room for updated information.
VIDEO REPRODUCTION: Please refer to Audio/Video Copy Request Protocol Procedures and Forms listed below.
EQUIPMENT RENTALS: Includes video cameras, microphones, light kits and various items to aide in the production of media. Please refer to the Equipment Rentals Protocol, Procedures and Forms for more info. These items are only available to current students or faculty/staff members and are limited to class curriculum or for archiving purposes.
Audio/Video Copy Request Procedures & Forms
To request a copy of videoed works from past concerts or events please:
1. Read, print and complete Video Copy Request Form. See Options and Price Guide listed below for more information.
2. Submit form and payment to Glenda Staples. (Special orders please contact A/V room before submitting payment.)
3. Please allow THREE-WEEKS for completion of order. An order is considered RUSHED if it is needed before the three-week deadline and an additional $20.00 flat fee is applied.
4. If items are to be shipped, additional charges are as follows:
(1 to 3 DVDS: $5.00 + $1.00 for every extra / 1 Mini DV: $6.00 + $1.00 for every extra)
Options & Price Guide:
- Selected pieces reproduced on a self-contained DVD: $3.00 per piece + $8.00 processing/digital storage fee. (# of pieces x $3.00 + $8.00=Total)
- Complete concerts reproduced on a self-contained DVD or reproduced to Mini DV: $25.00 (Processing/digital storage fee included)
- Audio only: $3.00 per piece + $6.00 processing/digital storage fee. (# of pieces x $3.00 + $6.00=Total)
Additional options are considered special orders and are subject to price adjustments. Please contact the A/V room at 801-587-9182 for detailed pricing information. General guides are as follows:
- Selected pieces reproduced to Mini DV Data Format: $6.00 per piece + $10.00 processing/digital storage fee
- Selected pieces reproduced as Quicktime file to DVD Data Format: $6.00 per piece + $5.00 processing fee + $2.00 per DVD digital storage disc (1 piece = 1 disc). Complete concerts cannot reproduced for this option.
**Reproductions that are requested from concerts/pieces which were presented before 2005 may be subject to additional charges**
Additional concerns or questions should be directed to the A/V Room.
Equipment Rental Protocol, Procedures, and Forms
These items are only available to current students or faculty/staff members and are limited to class curriculum or for archiving purposes. Availability is dependent on enrollment status, curriculum needs and other factors. Students and faculty/staff are not allowed to rent any of the following items unless a check-out agreement has been submitted and approved by A/V Room staff or specialists.
Terms and Conditions for ALL Rentals/Check-out:
- The borrower is responsible for returning all items by the due date listed on the check out form. If the items are returned late, the borrower will be assessed a $10.00 per day late fee.
- The items are to be returned before the AV room closes the next day. It is the borrowers responsibility to know the hours of the AV room (they are posted on the door). If you are unable to make it to the AV room, it is your responsibility to call The A/V Room to make other arrangements.
- The times are to returned with all batteries charged, and all cables wrapped neatly, items put in proper places, clean and undamaged.
- The person who checks out items, are responsible for all parts of that item(s) at all times until they are returned. The borrower may not put anyone else in charge of items.
Lost, Damaged or Stolen Camera/Parts:
- If a camera or part is lost, damaged or stolen, the borrower will be responsible to cover the full replacement cost of the part lost or damaged. The approximate values are listed on the check-out agreement form and are only approximates, but the borrow will be responsible for the actual full replacement cost.
- By signing the check-out agreement form the borrower acknowledges these responsibilities and hereby expressly authorizes the University as follows
- To withhold any penalties and/or the full replacement cost of the camera/parts from an amounts owed to the person by the University, including, but not limited to, the person’s wages; and/or
- To place a hold on the borrower’s student records and/or registration until the item/parts have been either returned or debt owed has been paid.
- VIDEO CAMERA: Rental includes Camera, Lens Cap, Batteries w/cover, Firewire Cable, Shoulder Strap, Remote, Small Eye Hood, Battery Charger with Adapters, Manual.
- LIGHT KIT (only available to Graduate Students): Rental includes 2-500w V-light,1-800w Pro lights,3-barndoors for Pro, 2-Stands, 1 case
- MICROPHONE: Rental includes RODE NTG-2 Microphone, Black Windscreen, Gray Windscreen, Carrying Bag, Microphone Clip, XLR Microphone Cable, Boom Pole, Microphone Instruction Manual
- MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS: For additional information please contact the A/V Room.
Glenda Staples, Administrative Officer
University of Utah Marriott Center for Dance
330 South 1500 East, Room 106
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0280